Saturday, 20 February 2016

BOOK REVIEW #3 - THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS : CITY OF ASHES BY CASSANDRA CLARE




City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Genres : YA, Urban Fantasy, Romance and Paranormal 
Series : The Mortal Instruments
Point of View - 3rd Person
My Rating : 

Synopsis
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.
_____________________________________________________________________________


No Spoilers Here!


City of Ashes was an enjoyable read and I liked it but not as much as City of Bones. I was warned before that City of Ashes was going to probably be a less enjoyable book but overall I still liked it.

My biggest problem in this book was probably Clary. In the first book I tolerated her but I couldn't tolerate her anymore. I still haven't pin pointed what of her character annoys be but I can't stand her and I would rather if the books were from Izzy's perspective cause I love Izzy so much. Both Izzy and Magnus are my favorite characters but I usually like Izzy's scenes a little bit more.

I loved Cassandra Clare's writing just as much as in City of Bones but I felt like the plot in this book was dragged out and that is mainly why I didn't like it as much as the first one.

I recommend this series to anyone who loves different magical races and such. It is a great series and even though magic

My rating is 60% / 3 stars. 
_____________________________________________________________________

SPOILERS AHEAD

If you haven't read the book go to the end where you can find 
_____________________________________________________________________

This spoilery part is a little bit small because I lost most of my notes and only have favorite quotes. BTW are all from/about Izzy.

"Isabelle with her whip and boots and knives would chop anyone who tried to pen her up in a tower into pieces, build a bridge out of their remains, and walk carelessly to freedom, her hair looking fabulous the entire time."

I love that because I could vividly imagine Izzy doing that and it is such a beautiful thing to think about. :) But then this comes next :

"This made Isabelle a hard person to like, though Clary was trying."

As I have already stated in the non-spoilery section, I had a big problem with Clary and her thinking that Isabelle is annoying made me so angry and made me literally laugh out loud.

 ""Honestly, Clary if you don't start utilizing a bit of your natural feminine superiority - i just don't know what I'll do with you." "

SLAY QUEEN SLAY!!! :)

""It is my motto", said Isabelle, with a sultry smile. "Nothing less than seven inches." "

I love badass female heroines that fight in style and seven inch heels. WOW!!!

And lastly I want to end with my biggest fangirl moment disappointment. Alec didn't admit to his parents that he is Gay and MALEC are not married. Devastation has claimed me. I want them MARRIED NOW!! 
_____________________________________________________________________

Links to purchase the book:

Paperback: Book Depository and Amazon
Hardback: Book Depository and Amazon

_____________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment