Sunday, 27 December 2015

BOOK REVIEW #2 - THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS : CITY OF BONES BY CASSANDRA CLARE



I read this book for four reasons, first I love the UK cover re-do. Secondly loved the synopsis and some non-spoiler reviews about it. Third is that I want to watch the upcoming TV show Shadowhunters coming out next January and fourth because Emma from the YouTube channel emmabooks couldn't stop talking about the entire Shadowhunter Chronicles because it is her favorite series of all time (Specifically The Mortal Instruments) and I was done, skipping through parts where I knew there were going to be spoilers about the series.

  

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Genres : YA, Urban Fantasy, Romance and Paranormal 
Series : The Mortal Instruments
Point of View - 3rd Person
My Rating : 

Synopsis
 When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...                              

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

No Spoilers Here!


City of Bones is set in the real world with some extra parts added to it. In almost the entire novel we are in New York and the rest of the time (mostly when there are flashbacks) we are in places like Paris and the added part of the world. 

The main character is Clary Fray. She is a 15 years old and she knows nothing about the Shadow World. She is a normal teenager until she begins seeing things that she has never seen before. Although it is our world, the book has a fair amount of world-building. 


Cassandra Clare's writing is very vivid and descriptive an thus it is very easy to fully immerse yourself in the book.

The way Cassandra Clare writes makes each character a bit mysteries and each and every one has some interesting unexpected traits of past experiences that we sometimes learn about. Even characters like Simon which is Clary's mundane(human) best friend is very interesting and unexpectedly is more interesting than some of the other non-mundane characters. No character feels flat, every character feels real.

My Rating is 91% / 5 stars.

_____________________________________________________________________________

SPOILERS AHEAD

If you haven't read the book scroll to the end where there is a small non-spoiler paragraph which will be titled "Conclusive Judgement"!

_____________________________________________________________________________


My thoughts about City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

Disclaimer: When I mention page numbers they are from the edition of the picture above.

I want to begin with my biggest disappointment in this book. MAGNUS AND ALEC DON'T GET MARRIED!! Which I hope happens by City of Ashes.

Now to begin the review that is only minimally effected by that first point. I loved Cassandra Clare's writing. It was amazing and fluent and I couldn't stop. I loved how she wrote the descriptions of things mostly and how a lot of the descriptions were really early in the book like, The Seraph Blade, The Runes and scenes that I think are from City of Fallen Angels(Page 64) because that paragraph ends with "Angels, falling and burning. Falling out of the sky." 

I also utterly enjoyed how action scenes weren't just in the beginning or end of the book, like in some books but they were peppered all around the novel, starting with Izzy, Alec and Jace killing that Eidolon demon in Pandemonium and then only a few chapters later we got the Clary vs Ravener which made me really scared because I read just before I went to sleep. Every time there was a battle scene I felt like I was there and I could image most of the world around vividly very easily because of the writing style.

I was really disappointed when Jace fought the Forsaken creature which I imagined as a strong and giant monster that was very stupid and that Jace I think could have handled better. Since later on he did really well all of those vampires.

I also think that the backstory to the Downworlders like the diseases that brought werewolves and vampires and that the demon, human off-spring is a Warlock, was a really enjoyable part of the book and those same backstories might be my favorite of all Fairy, Werewolf, Warlock and Vampire backstories of all time. I also want an entire book about them, and how they began and how life was for Shadowhunters before they came into the world.

An aspect that I didn't actually like in the book is how well and easy Clary and later on Simon took it, when they learned all about the Shadow World. I think it could have been stretched out a bit longer but not being stretched out did make it feel more fast paced I think and that is why it did still bug me but I overlooked because of the fast pace and also Simon had a reason to dismiss it so quickly and actually be happy, he's a total nerd and I love that about him.

I was a little surprised when Clary was acting jealous because Simon was trying to date Izzy because until that point I thought she only liked him as a best friend and he was a little in love with her but it wouldn't effect him much. Unlike what happened later when he saw her kiss Jace and he went out full blown rage because she was kissing Jace which I want her to do because I want Simon to end up Izzy and not Clary.

The information that Valentine was married to Clary's mother and later on when we discovered that Clary was his daughter were the two of a only few things in this book that were supposed to surprise me and didn't. I figured out he was Clary's father before we learned that he was married to Jocelyn even though Cassandra Clare kept denying it in her writing. I worked it out when Clary's age and the time between each Accords happened came up. Even though after Cassandra Clare said that they were married, she kept denying that Clary was his daughter for some reason I just kept denying her denying, at first I felt like I was in denial but then I just became more and more sure as the story kept progressing.

I was surprised again when the Lightwoods's backstory was told. I didn't think that the Lightwoods which we still haven't met would ever side with Valentine just for the fact of their very cool surname that they had. I guess surnames don't identify whether people are good people but, since they were introduced i envisioned the Lightwoods to be this perfect couple that never did anything wrong.

Then there were the Silent Brothers which just creeped me out. Also, I don't trust them at all. I never trusted them and will never trust them. They seem too crazy mostly since they mutilate themselves to gain power, which i just found utterly disgusting. I was terrified of what they were going to do to Clary and I just wanted her not to approach them as much as possible because they seemed like they would hurt her or make her go insane after entering her mind.


The only thing that actually didn't creep me out from those chapters is the City of Bones/Silent City, which I felt so immersed in and although it did have that creepy vibe, I felt like it was one of the most beautiful and magnificently awesome places in the book.

I was really mad at Izzy when she let Simon turn himself into a rat by drinking that potion thing that they were giving out at the party but that did make out for an awesome battle scene at the vampire lair. The whole battle scene was so intense and I couldn't deal with everything. I actually reread the whole battle scene to grasp what was happening because the first time around I was reading it really fast trying to keep up with the  pace I thought the battle scene was going at. My favorite moment was when Clary threw Jace's knife at that werewolf that was actually tryign to  help her which I was also surprised by.

I was very intrigued by Magnus's backstory and how his parents rejected him and how he dealt with the whole situation.

Probably the best type of rune in my opinion is the one that lets you put things in drawings and bring them out. When Clary had felt the feathers I just thought the power let you bring things out of drawings that you drew but I was even more surprised when she pulled out a mug and later on she got The Mortal Cup.

The scene at Madame Dorothea rattled me and I was devastated when Alec got poisoned and I wanted to kill Clary for not thinking about that and maybe not letting Alec get poisoned. After the scene was done and they were rushing back to the Institute I figured out that Hodge was working with Valentine because he was the only one who could know where they were going and thus he was the only one who could have told Madame Dorothea somehow to prepare the portal, that summoned the Greater Demon.  

I was happy that I was right and that Hodge was in fact working with Valentine since I never actually liked Hodge but I was not at all okay with Hodge letting Valentine take Jace with him. I had no idea of the plot twist to come and I thought that Valentine was going to kill Jace.

I was very disappointed and heartbroken when we didn't get a scene were Alec was healthy but I was immensely satisfied when I saw the werewolf (Luke) kill Hodge which later disappointed me again when we learnt that he most probably didn't die.

I was also disappointed that we didn't get to see much of the battle between the werewolves and the Forsaken. Though I was surprised that, Gretel which hadn't known Luke much sacrificed herself to save him and I was really happy about that because I really wanted LUKE to kill Valentine.

Later on I was really confused when Clary entered the room Jace was in and kept calling Valentine his dad. At first I thought Valentine had put some kind of rune that stops Jace from seeing through Glamour and that made him more gullible or something but I was never expecting the outcome. Until they said it out loud I couldn't believe that Jace was Clary's brother and that Valentine was his father.

I am still mad at Jace for not killing Valentine although he had multiple occasions when he could have. Now I want that at the end of all this Clary and Jace kill Valentine. NOT LUKE! 

Finally I want to end this by saying that my favorite characters are Izzy and Magnus and I cannot choose between them cause both of them are too awesome!


_________________________________________________________________________

Conclusive Judgment

All in all this book is amazing and if the other books in this series play out like this book with so many plot twists and increasingly getting better and more intriguing the more the story progresses, it is going to be an amazing series that will probably be one of my favorite series of all time.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Links to purchase the book:

  Book Depository and Amazon US (Paperback)
Book Depository and Amazon US (Hardback)

_____________________________________________________________________________





No comments:

Post a Comment