Thursday, 21 January 2016

OFF THE PAGE #1 - STORIES NEW AND OLD


#1 Stories New and Old


This is my first post in a new series of posts I will be doing about my Writing. 
This meme is hosted by Nicola from Queen of the Bookshelves.
Click here for Original Post

Past:

I have probably been writing since I was about 3 years old. At that time I was obsessed with 101 Dalmatians and could only write the two letters O and C but I still wrote on a piece of blank paper fan-fiction of them going on different adventures. Then I would narrate them to my very patient Kindergarten teacher and she would write them down in actual words. I don't actually have them anymore but a few years ago the same teacher has told me that she found them in her home and she has now put them in file. I would ask for them but I don't know how to contact her or even if she is still alive because she was quite an old teacher.

I began writing again after Kindergarten in Year 5 at about the age of 9 or ten. There was an old British man that came to live in Malta and read us stories and after he read us The BFG by Roald Dahl we were tasked of writing a story about a giant/giants. After our teacher corrected them, she had given what she considered the best to him and he read them. About a week later he told me and my friend at the time if we would like to make my story into a short play and we instantly obliged. After a few weeks we had written the script and he corrected it for us and did all the editing for it. Then we casted most of our classmates for the play and began building the set in the art room for the play but finally it ended up not being performed because we didn't finish the set in time and the Headmistress wouldn't let us continue working on it the year after that. I do not know where the script for this play is.

At that point I had told myself that she actually just didn't like my writing and it was pure shit and I shouldn't write anything unless it is for HW or an exam. (To be fair my writing was probably pure shit but I would like to think that it has gotten better.)

Some important information for the next part: I was a full on Pantser. 

Then I began writing again in about Form 2 when I was about 12 years old and I wrote several stories by hand in my free lessons at school but none of them ever got done. One of them was called The Adventures of Luna and the other was called The Stone of Balance

The Adventures of Luna stopped after chapter two and I couldn't figure out what the hell I was trying to write and what Luna was supposed to accomplish (I also have no idea where these chapters are). While The Stone of Balance is 7 Chapters long. I actually know where these are and you can look at them below, if you can actually recognize my writing. The grammatical mistakes are edited by pencil by my Best Friend Gian. The writing in this is also pure shit (Excuse me for using the same expression too many times but I think it is the best way to describe it). 
Enjoy :)    









If you did read them I apologize for the horrifying experience you had and now let's continue :)  

Present:

After these two projects I decided that my writing would not be something anyone would want to read an entirely gave up on writing until one very special week in August of 2015 were my now two highest priorities came into existence through one giant chain reaction that had started in 2013 when I was at a bookstore and I decided to pick up a random book and actually read it all the way through and I had picked up the first book in The Healer Series by Maria V Snyder : Touch of Power.

This book later on lead me to Poison Study and in that faithful day in mid August I decided to see if anyone had ever read it on YouTube and 
polandbananas20 video about Poison Study came up and I found the book community which later on in the year lead me to NaNoWriMo. The moment I learnt about NaNoWriMo I told myself that I would try to write at least 5000 words and give myself one last chance at writing and I loved it. I found that writing is my stress reliever. The more stressed I am the more words pour out and that 5K word count goal turned to 50K and I actually completed that first draft that now I am giving a year to myself a chance to edit it and see if I want to continue on with that story.

The WIP name for it is A Broken Rule but I think it makes no sense after I wrote the first Draft but I don't want to get caught up with the name so it is going to stay that way. My friend made a temporary book cover for me when I completed the 50K which I don't think is that bad. Tell me what you think about it in the comments.


   
General Idea of the WIP : 

About 1000 years ago the continents clashed back together and reformed Pangaea. Most humans died as the continental shift happened but the ones that lived learnt the truth from Solas (Goddess of Light) and most of them gained magic. Only three years later her sister finished creating and released Reapers. Human like beings that have a special touch. Whenever they touch a human they drain their life-force and most of the time kill them. Now there are only a few hundreds of thousands of humans left on Earth and the main populous lives inside The Wall. Inside The Wall, Ice, Water, Earth and Plant magicians oppress the Normals and kill any Fire magician that is discovered in fear of the Wall melting or kindling.  

The main protagonists are in their first year of magic school where they will be chosen and trained for specific jobs according to their potential. They will slowly begin to learn that there may be a way to bring Solas back through a minor character's (that plays a major role) special power. They also learn that bringing her back would mean that all the Reapers die but the path to bringing her back will be a puzzling, dangerous and illegal path to take.

General Info about the Goddesses:

The Goddesses are not omnipotent and unbeatable beings and they do have their weaknesses. One ability that some gods in various religions have is that they know what they is going to happen but these two Goddesses do not posses such an ability either.

The 50K+ words I have written so far are going through some major rewriting and the Story is evolving as I continue to rewrite it as I do not have anything but the basic magic system planned out and that is actually my next thing to edit because I want to make it more detailed and make some magic less powerful than it is because Fire Magicians at the moment have a major advantage that makes no sense.

Now answering the Questions I still have not answered from this week's questions that you can find below.

Yes, my old writing makes me more than cringe.
No, I don't think my past work inspire my current work but I do think a charcter in A Broken Rule is inspired by a character from a short story I had written as an exam essay in Form 1 or Form 2.

My Off The Page posts will be about A Broken Rule. I hope you enjoyed this very long post and you keep reading the posts to come.

If you want to take part in this as well on your blog, this weeks topic and questions are the following : 

Your past and present novels. 
How did you get from those old works to where your writing is now? 
Do your old works make you cringe? 
Did they, inspire your current work?   
____________________________________________________________________________
     







2 comments:

  1. You have a great writing backstory! So far I've played around with journalistic writing for newspapers, and blog writing, of course, but I haven't committed to writing a story yet. I haven't exactly pictured myself as a writer before, and I'd have to find something to write about, but I am considering trying it as a hobby.

    The BFG was one of my favorite childhood books! I read a lot of Roald Dahl when I was younger, in addition to the Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and other series.

    I am glad to hear you got back into writing, even when discouragement struck. I have a classmate who also started a WIP through NaNoWriMo, and I'm so happy to hear that that has worked for you! Your WIP sounds awesome, and I wish you the best of luck with it!

    Claire ❥ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. I also plan to do writing as a hobby but one day I wish to get my book published but not as a full-time job because I don't think my writing can reach that level and I am kind of a perfectionist so before I would publish something I would need to make sure it is to the best of my ability. :)

      Delete